Saturday, May 15, 2010

Our awesome day out with Jessica Watson...

...This is gonna be short and sweet. We've been out on Sydney Harbour since about 8:00 am this morning, and it is now 8:30 pm and we are about to go to bed...stuffed!

We went out to help welcome Jessica Watson home...and by the look of it, so did most of the rest of Sydney!

I've chosen two of my favourite photos to show you now. We have lots more (and video)...but I'll need to sit down and go through them more slowly for the best shots. I had my 300 mm zoom and managed to get some nice shots as she came through the Heads of Sydney Harbour.




It was quite scary out there in the Heads. With swells of about 4 m and dozens and dozens and DOZENS of boats milling about (at speed)...I am absolutely AMAZED we came out of it without a scratch. At one point, one small craft almost went between our hulls and there were upwards of four helicopters buzzing about overhead for added effect. Nick was steering...I would NOT have been able to do that!

It was an absolutely amazing feeling being out there with Jessica as she returned home today. I am just in AWE of her positive vibe, spirit and skill. I will be the first to admit that I was pretty dubious about the whole trip after the initial incident with the container ship...but she has shown me that she is made of some seriously stern stuff! Hats of to you Jesse...and thanks for sharing your day with us.

Hope you managed to catch a glimpse of her on TV. It was a wonderful day!

Sam.

No comments: