Monday, August 3, 2015

Lucey Blue - Emily and Ryan fishy tales...

Ryan and I have decided we like fishing, it's a long story...so here goes...




Recently we met some other sailors who had been fishing off the back of their yacht. They had caught all kinds of fish (and a seagull) and Ryan and I were eager to join in the fun. 

At first Dad only let us have one rod and Ryan caught two fish (in an hour!) He caught them with the bait the friendly yachties had provided for us. The first fish was a Sooty Grunter and the next was a Bream. Unfortunately they were too small to eat. 





Finally Dad let me get a rod and after a loooooong time with nibbles and stollen bait, but no fish, I finally had success! A huge Dusky Flathead (or as Eric called it...'a fathead')! It was over 50 cm long and big enough to eat, but I decided to let it go, the next one I catch isn't going to be so lucky. 




I have been fishing several times at Lady Musgrave - from the back of the boat and even the dinghy, but I haven't caught anything that we can eat. I nearly caught two awesome fish, but one broke the line and the other swam into the reef and THEN broke the line.



Finally on the 29th of July I had success - well kind of success. When Dad and Ryan were out snorkelling I caught a fish. Mum and I ran around squealing because we had no idea how to deal with fish hooks. I found some pliers and we eventually unhooked the Remora, otherwise known as a sucker fish because it has a large suction cup on its head that helps it stick to things. Despite my earlier promise I let the Remora go as they're not good eating. The next day Ryan caught another Remora. So we are all still waiting for a good fish dinner... 





No comments: